Opt Out Testing Movement Growing
News reports are growing about parents opting their children out of state testing. Several Texas principals have received letters from parents requesting an exemption from STAAR-related activities and assessments. If you receive a letter TEPSA strongly encourages you to review the current Policy Guidance from the Texas Association of School Boards and contact your central office regarding a response. Contact TEPSA if this issue arises on your campus.
Opt Out Movement Information:
- Texas Parents Opt Out of State Tests
- Compilation of News, Texas Education Code, and Sample Letters
- Testing Resistance and Reform News (FairTest: National Center for Fair and Open Testing)
- Questions Parents Should Ask the District About School Testing (Taking Note: John Merrow)
- United Opt Out: Refuse the Test without Fear of Federal Penalty to Your School